Overview of Gifu Land of Clear Waters Art Festival
– Art Award IN THE CUBE
Gifu Prefecture has been blessed with abundant nature since ancient times. Pristine waters originating from forests run throughout the prefecture. They have fostered master craftsmanship in ceramics in Tono, woodwork in Hida, washi (Japanese handmade paper) in Mino, and swords in Seki, as well as traditional cormorant fishing on the Nagara River, which has a history of thousands of years. While these waters have helped cultivate such traditional culture, they have also served as the source of new creations.
Since 2017, Gifu Prefecture has organized the “Art Award IN THE CUBE,” a nationwide exhibition showcasing award-winning artworks in the open art competition every three years with a view to discovering and fostering new creative talent. Anyone, from any age group and in any genre, is eligible to participate. The aim of this triennial art competition is to provide an opportunity both for artists and audiences to feel inspired to appreciate the present moment.
The next Art Award IN THE CUBE exhibition will be held in 2023 with a new theme. We encourage as many applicants as possible, not only from Japan but from around the world, to apply for an award. It is our hope that, as one tiny drop gathers with others to form a large river and flows into the sea, a ripple emerging from this area will spread throughout the nation and around the world, leading to the creation of something new and attractive, as well as generating vitality in “Gifu, Land of Clear Waters.”
What is AAIC2023?
- Global Open Call Exhibition
- Theme of the third competition: Artworks that interpret and render “REAL” no yukue (Where “REALITY” Goes) (There are no restrictions on category of art, technique, etc.)
- Exhibits will be in cubes, which will be specially set up at the Museum of Fine Arts, Gifu.
Museum of Fine Arts, Gifu
The Museum of Fine Arts, Gifu opened on November 3, 1982 on the theme of “encounter and interaction with beauty.” The site is spacious and offers a place for visitors to relax amid a harmonious blend of lush greenery and three-dimensional works of art.
Each space is a cube measuring 4.8 m (W) × 4.8 m (D) × 3.6 m (H).
*Image of a cube (Artworks will not be exhibited outdoors.)
- Theme for the third competition
- “REAL” no yukue (Where “REALITY” Goes)
- April 22 (Sat.) – June 18 (Sun.) 2023 (Open for 50 days)
- In the galleries of the Museum of Fine Arts, Gifu
- Number of exhibits
- Approx. 14 works
- Operating Hours
- 10:00 to 18:00
- Monday (the following weekday when Monday is a national holiday)
- Admission fee
- Event Locations
- Museum of Fine Arts, Gifu, 4-1-22 Usa, Gifu City, Gifu Prefecture MAPMAP
- Get off at JR Nishi-Gifu Sta. → 15 min. on foot
- Get off at JR Gifu Sta. → By taxi or Gifu Bus
- Get off at Meitetsu Gifu Sta. → By taxi or Gifu Bus
>Access information on the official website of the Museum of Fine Arts, Gifu
*The schedule is subject to change depending on the Covid-19 situation.
Executive Committee of Gifu Land of Clear Waters Art Festival
– Art Award IN THE CUBE,